List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Edgy and KDE [Was: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE]
From:       Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan <sharuzzaman () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2006-07-11 3:50:38

Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 11:50:44PM +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>> All translators agree on that, it is just that Ubuntu people either:
>> a) are not translators and do not understand it
>> b) are obfuscated by the "Ubuntu rules" phenomenon
>> c) want to make translations worse
>
> It is of course none of the above :)
>
>> So if i was not clear, YES we want more translators, NO we don't like how
>> rosetta works at the moment.
>
> The purpose of Rosetta is because Ubuntu needs a way to let people
> translate all the strings in all our programmes.  So far nothing else
> achieves that.
>
> Jonathan

 From what I have observed, Rosetta is bypassing the official
translation team who manage and make sure translation is in high quality
and consistent across different application. Official team also make
sure the translation is committed upstream, so that not only Ubuntu can
benefit, but other distro can also benefit from the translation as well.

I see Rosetta as Ubuntu-only tools, to fulfill the need of Ubuntu, and
disregarding others.

Until Ubuntu is working together with official translation team, any
translation only done in Ubuntu will be discarded and replaced when the
official team  is committing their translation upstream. Ubuntu
translator will be wasting their time and effort translating something
that will not be included upstream.

--
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan
KDE Malay