List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Entities (was: Red Card for Polish translation team)
From:       Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?q?L=FCck?= <lueck () hube-lueck ! de>
Date:       2006-07-05 15:57:33

Am Montag, 3. Juli 2006 20:15 schrieb Jeroen Wijnhout:

> A while ago I had an issue with the Kile docs that looks like this. The
> Dutch KDE team added an entity (a new
> translator). They added the entity in a common KDE file, so everything
> worked great for trunk. However for older
> KDE versions, or for any KDE version that is already installed, the
> corresponding common KDE file containing
> the entity definition was not changed of course. This caused the doc not
> to compile on older KDE versions. I fixed this
> by copying the entity definition to the index.docbook. This worked, but
> I wonder how we should deal with such a
> situation in general. Any ideas?

Yes, make the language entities independent from the kdelibs version.

We have this problem with every application or module thats not in kde main,
eg amarok, kile, koffice etc.
In the german team we have fixed some errors and improved our files in
kdelibs/kdoctools/custstomization/de. But with the current system it is
impossible to translate everything outside kde main with these improvements.
If I generate german docbooks for kde main, I use the user.entities from
3.5. If I want to generate docbooks for other programs or modules, I have to
check the appropriate release plan for the used kdelibs version(s) and to move
the user.entities for this kdelibs version(s) to the right place, generate the
docs and switch the user.entities back to 3.5.
The polish team can not translate docs for koffice 1.5 or 1.6, because even
1.6 is intended to work with kdelibs 3.3 (Krzysztof, be careful, may be you
would get another red card;-)

To change this situation, we have to:

1. Move dirs kdelibs/kdoctools/custstomization/Lang to l10n/LANG
2. change in meinproc.cpp:
a. search general entities in $KDEDIR/share/apps/ksgmltools2/customization/
b. search language entities in l10n/LANG
3. give language entities precedence over general entities (this makes it
possible to get a translation for eg &khelpcenter; just by copying the entity)
4. change buildsystem to check also the time of changed files in l10n/LANG (eg
install-compile.docbook, actually you have to delete
LANG/docs/modul/*.dockbooks to get changes in install-compile.docbook into
your documentations)

Burkhard Lück