List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [IDEA] Rosetta and KDE
From:       Stephan Johach <lucardus () onlinehome ! de>
Date:       2006-05-28 11:52:33

Hi!

Am Sonntag, 28. Mai 2006 12:24 schrieb Carsten Niehaus:
> The point of all this is that all translation is inside KDE and there is
> one guy inside KDE responsible for the quality-check. This is pretty much
> like right now: Somebody translates with KBabel and sends the maintainer
> the file. Only the maintainer can commit.
>
> What do you think?

That would only work if the Rosetta translators are full members of the
respective KDE teams and take care of the team standards and
guidelines. But I do not see the point why we should adopt Rosetta
to attract people who would most probably go away if they are told
they have to learn the KDE standards first or their translation is
dismissed simply because it did not pass our quality management.

To fix some fuzzies or untranslated strings we do not need
new translators. We need translators who come in, learn how to
do it right and stay with the team and maintain complete parts
of the GUI or documentation. And Rosetta users who take care of
our team standards do not need Rosetta to work with us.

Websvn is a web interface everybody can use to get a po-file.
And I am sure many team coordinators are more than willing to
send po-Files by email if a translator has no web and no svn
to get the translation files.

The problem here is not the interface for the translator,
the problem is to get the translator to know what he or she is
doing. This is a process of learning and doing. If I have to check
every string of a translation I can do it myself. A KDE translator
must be part of the KDE community not only part of a distribution
community.

Rosetta was designed to attract short time translators, who
come and go. That is in my opinion a No-Go for KDE
translations. KDE is to complex, there's to much context you
have to know about.

BTW is there any distribution hiring students for writing or proofreading
of documentation or translations?  And if so, are these people working with
the doc or translation teams?

We do not need tools, we need people doing the work!

Regards,
Stephan