List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE
From:       Pablo de Vicente <pablo.devicente () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-28 7:19:35

El Domingo, 28 de Mayo de 2006 02:32, Jonathan Riddell escribió:

> > > I'm not sure what this is asking, the Ubuntu translation teams will
> > > have their own processes (being young teams some of them may be less
> > > mature than in KDE).  You can either ignore their work or take it back
> > > as best suits you.
> >
> > I'm not the one who asked the question, but what if the translator is a
> > Kubuntu user and working for the KDE team?  He or she should expect his
> > or her translation to be included in the next release but might see
> > someone else's instead.  Or is it officially announced that Kubuntu users
> > should not work for the KDE translation team?
>
> Personally I'd encourage them to work with the KDE translation team,
> but many people will prefer the web interface offered by Rosetta.

I am really puzzled with this situation. I belong to the spanish KDE
translation team and I use Kubuntu at home, and Debian at my job, and I do
care about inconsistent translations in my normal everyday environment.

After reading the posts of this thread I have exported one of this PO files
translated by somebody using the web interface and "kompared" it with our
official latest version. I should clarify that the file was 100% translated
to spanish. The changes in Rosetta have just spoiled the translation. In
Spanish we do not capitalize all words of a sentence, like in English; we
only capitalize the first word. See an example for this PO file:

POT file: New Feeds Feed
KDE stable: Nuevo origen de noticias
Rosetta: Nuevo Origen de Noticias.

Even the Rosetta spanish translation team advises to not capitalize all words
because it is incorrect in spanish. In this particular case, the Rosetta
contributor just changed the translation adding no value to it and he managed
to spoil it decreasing its quality.

So, my question is, what can we do from the KDE translation teams to keep our
translations as best as possible and not having to duplicate our effort by
monitoring what is going on in Rosetta?.

Does Kubuntu plan to import into Rosetta the KDE SVN translations  before each
release?. Or let us put it another way, Does Kubuntu plan to sync with KDE
before each release or is this the begining of fork for the KDE
translations?. I think it would be a real pity if this is the beginning of a
fork and Kubuntu will never sync again with KDE.

Pablo.