List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Rosetta for Kubuntu Dapper and KDE
From:       Thomas Diehl <kontakt () dtp-diehl ! de>
Date:       2006-05-27 23:21:03

Am Samstag, 27. Mai 2006 20:00 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:

> > Don't get me wrong, but at the moment this looks more like a
> > parallel community to me.
>
> It is.  Distributions have always had parallel development
> communities than their upstreams.

Yes. And as far as translation is concerned this
uncoordinated "parallel development" always led to totally
inconsistent GUIs and usability disasters as far as my
experience with German distro versions goes.

KDE translation is mostly a very clear structured and well
documented process -- see all the material of stats, mailing
lists, web sites, coordinators etc. for the individual teams on
the l10n server. It shouldn't be too difficult for the
respective (K)Ubuntu teams to coordinate their work with KDE
people instead of reinventing the wheel with every new version
for no good reason. And I think Ubuntu should "officially
encourage" this (just in case this is not happening already).

Kind regards,

Thomas