List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Pipe symbol in strings
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-23 6:49:31

On Thursday 23 March 2006 07:44, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> po:677
> reference:	⑤	kfile/kicondialog.cpp:541
> Original:	⌘0	*.png *.xpm *.svg *.svgz|Icon Files (*.png *.xpm *.svg
> *.svgz)
>
> does the pipe symbol indicate that the first section is context and
> thus not to be translated?

That's a weirdness of KFileDialog and similar things - before the | is a list
of wildcards that are matched and after is a description of the filetype that
is matched by the list of wildcards. So translate the bit after, but you must
include, untouched, the part up to the |. Like so:

*.png *.xpm *.svg *.svgz|Icoontjes

> This situation occurs also, and more confusingly, in this string:
> ___
> po:649
> reference:	⑤	kfile/kfiledialog.cpp:1667 kfile/kfilefiltercombo.cpp:32
> Original:	⌘0	*|All Files
> ___

* matches all files, hence the description. This string must be:

*|Alle bestanden

If you mess this up -- I remember fixing some cases in the Russian translation
once -- and write just

Icoontjes

then the file dialog will be broken.

--