List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [RFC] short message "unfreeze" before KDE 3.5.1
From:       Diego Iastrubni <elcuco () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-01 19:55:31

Nicolas Goutte wrote:

>As discussed a few weeks ago, there is a need to break (shortly) the message
>freeze for fixing typos and other errors in user visible messages of KDE 3.5
>before KDE 3.5.1.

Then, this is a great moment for me to ask...

Kate/Kwrite have no BIDI support, that is already known. This is bad
also for Hindic speaker, who have to use a crappy editor, like kedit to
write simple notes. That is bad.  There is a solution to that, which
sadly I found just recently.

KDE applications can use different editors, the default installed by
kdelibs is katePart. I found also kvimPart, and a "Qt Designer Based
Text Editor" which is supplied by KDevelop. The last one, has a really
good BiDI support, and I can only assume it will support all other
languages Qt3.3.5 supports. As one can embed that kpart into KWrite,
this means we can have a really powerful editor, with better support for
"complex layouts".

The code is already available in kdevelop, which have a stable release,
so may I propose:

Lets move that code to kdelibs, and by this providing a decent text
editor for those who do not write English.

Here is a flash animation which shows the BIDI support of that editor,
just ignore the Hebrew texts, look at the images, and install a Flash
plugin (if you do ask, I can make an English version):
http://iglu.org.il/~diego/kde/kwrite.html