List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KGeography needs your help
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2005-08-11 7:17:28

Chusslove Illich wrote:
>>[: Chusslove Illich :]
>>You can also look at these examples in this way: there it is, the
>>pseudo-language that you would like to have for Polish, implemented
>>in about 30 lines of Scheme code in kdelibs.scm. And we still could
>>drop some of the brackets and single quotes :)
>

> I couln't resist, here are the polished (pardon the pun) versions:

We have already Polish(ed) Linux Distribution ;)

> msgid "%1 is beatiful!"
> msgstr ""
> "%1 jest piêkna!"
> "|/|"
> "%1 @${agree-to %1 (female singular \"jest piêkna\")
>                    (male singular   \"jest piêkny\")
>                    (female plural   \"s± piêkne\")}!"
>
> No more odd single quotes, no extra brackets, no division to ordinary and
> interpolated syntax (no reason to have non-interpolated syntax).
>
> To allow this, needed code in kdelibs.scm rose by few lines, to 33.

This looks much better but I would prefer for argument (%1) to be used
inside of returned string. This is more similar to what we have now in
translations :)

As for syntax, I would only limit number of magic characters (@${}) to
something simpler (${} or @{}) to avoid spelling errors. Maybe other
translators would speak out if they find it a problem :)

Regards

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish team)