List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KGeography needs your help
From:       Krzysztof Lichota <krzysiek () lichota ! net>
Date:       2005-08-11 7:07:55

Chusslove Illich wrote:
> I have said before, but let me just recall. There are two important aspects
> to scripting: they are needed rarely, but at highly visible places. My
> "About %1" are broken, my "Configure %1" are broken, my "Handbook for %1"
> are broken, my "Open with %1" are broken, my plurals are ugly ("0 files
> found" instead of "no files found"), my "Show %1" and "Hide %1" are
> broken. Thus, scripting comes highly rewarding.

The same for Polish :)

>>Therefore I support very much Krzysztof's idea: the realization should
>>be as simple and intuitive as possible. Very simple (pseudo)-language,
>>or maybe even language-dependent libs for inflections of nouns and
>>adjectives, that can be formalized for a few language-specific rules
>>(hopefully even for Estonian), instead of repeating same forms for all
>>words in po files. This will diminish the number of bugs to almost
>>unnoticeable level and save time of our translators.
>

> I am not outright against our own custom language, but getting it to be
> easier than some well known one, is not something that I would bet is
> feasible. Also, I am afraid that it might require constant tweaking as it
> goes, and that is a promise for a mess.
>
> Currently, I consider this custom stuff to be a serious option primarely
> due to overheads and security.

IMO such pseudo-language must fulfill the following requirements, in
order of priority:
1. Must have enough expression to fullfill all issues for all languages.
2. Must be intuitive to use for translators.
3. Must be secure.
4. Must be fast :)

Regards

	Krzysztof Lichota (Polish team)