List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Some random notes about KOrg Docs
From:       Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-06-29 12:58:14

> [: Reinhold Kainhofer :]
> Actually, I doubt that the translation would be different. The changes
> are merely replacing one english word by a more common and
> better-sounding synonym in the english version. It's just that I don't
> want all translators to have a lot of extra work due to this change.

Actually, this thing with tasks/todos made me a bit confused some time ago.
At one point, when I took upon myself to update KDE PIM, I found that most
of the strings that were previously containing our translation of "task"
had become fuzzy, and originals of these had a "todo" in them.

This made me believe that there was a planned consistency sweep from "task"
to "todo", so I googled a bit to see if there are any differences between
the two. It turned out that some PIMs will indeed consider these terms to
be different, like:

"A todo item is a task that is on the wait queue"

"Tasks are responsibilities that are scheduled for particular times, todos
are responsibilities that are not scheduled for a particular time"

Although it didn't seem that KDE PIM made this distinction, given my belief
that someone made that consistency sweep, I decided to translate it
differently from "task", just in case. So, moving back to "task" in the
original will make us change it back in the translation as well, but hey,
I wasn't too satisfied with our translations of "todo" in the first
place :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)
Serbian KDE translation team