List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Some random notes about KOrg Docs
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2005-06-29 12:50:51

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 14:32, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 June 2005 14:10, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > >
> > > We mean the development version only, don't we?
>
> Yes, for now Carlos' patch is only about changing "to-do" => "task" in all
> i18n'd strings in the code (dialogs, what's this, tooltips etc.).
>
> Of course, sooner or later the help and the other documentation would also
> need to be adjusted to replace to-do => task and sub-to-do => subtask.

> > But then you would not have needed to ask kde-i18n-doc. (Perhaps you
> > meant asking kde-doc-english.)
>
> I simply wanted to ask the translators of the applications if its okay if
> we change lots of i18n'ed strings and if that would mean a lot of extra
> effort for the application translators.

All changed messages will get marked as "fuzzy" in the translation (see
below). So at least for each entry the translator has to check the
translation to unmark the "fuzzy".

But that is something that happen all the time; one could say that it is part
of the translator's job.

So if you are sure that the term in English is right (please avoid to change
it again in a few months), then I suppose that you should apply the change
(especially that the release of KDE 3.5 is months ahead).

> kde-i18n-doc seemed like the only list where I could really reach
> translators (sorry, but for an "outsider" it's quite confusing what all the
> *i18n* and *doc* mailing lists are for). Is kde-doc-english for
> translators? We already asked them if they thought if task was better than
> to-do and they agreeded...

Yes, you are right. kde-i18n-doc is indeed the (only) list for all
translators.

I am only surprised that you have asked (perhaps because normally nobody asks,
but being aware of the translators is probably a good thing!)

> > Sure, it would mean that the translators will have to re-check the
> > translated documentation but that happens.
>
> Actually, I doubt that the translation would be different.

Changing a word in English also means a time for the translators to check if
their translation is still valid or if the word should be changed in their
language too (as an extreme example, British English will probably change the
"translation" too).

> The changes are
> merely replacing one english word by a more common and better-sounding
> synonym in the english version. It's just that I don't want all translators
> to have a lot of extra work due to this change. Thus my question if the
> i18n tools are smart enough to keep the translation if the original string
> changes.

No, the i18n tools will not keep the translation.

The Gettext tool msgmerge, which merges the translation templates to the
translations, will mark such translation entries as "fuzzy", while keeping
the old translation. As long as the "fuzzy" mark stays for a translated
entry, this translation entry (in this language) will not be used at run-time
anymore.

> Reinhold

Have a nice day!