List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: X-KDE-Submenu entries in .desktop files not translatable?
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-30 8:29:15

On Saturday 28 May 2005 12:25, Stephan Johach wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One of our translators recently found some untranslated menu entries in
> konqueror. As we can not find the corresponding strings in our german
> .po files we suspect other teams should see this also.
>
> Open konqueror (file view), and right click on a .png or .jpg file.
>
> Now select your translation of "Actions".
>
> In the german translation there are three untranslated submenues:
>
> "Convert To"
> "Set As Background"
> "Transform Image"
>
> Seems to me there is something wrong with the corresponding
> .desktop-files. For example
>
> /kdebase/kdesktop/kdesktopSetAsBackground.desktop
>
> shows the english text but no translation of it:

> [Desktop Entry]
> ServiceTypes=image/*
> Actions=setAsBackground;tileAsBackground;
> X-KDE-Submenu=Set as Background
>
> [Desktop Action setAsBackground]
> Name=Centered

Oh. Aaron used a non-standard (i18n-wise) name for a translatable string, this needs to be fixed.
Aaron: how about we change that to
X-KDE-Submenu=true
Comment=Set as Background
for instance? (of course with keeping support for the old way in the sources...).

Really translating X-KDE-Submenu requires some changes in the l10n code, and
might lead to errors (translators know that in Comment=Foo they don't have to
translate the "Comment" part, but "X-KDE-Submenu" might be tempting ;-).
I think we usually try to reuse existing ready-for-translation keys...