List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Inconsistent use of case in acronyms
From:       Vedran =?utf-8?q?Ljubovi=C4=87?= <vedran-liste () smartnet ! ba>
Date:       2004-08-28 19:13:24

Hello,

I see some discussion with regards to quality, and since now is the Good Time
(post release) I'd like to discuss how acronyms are given in KDE GUI strings
and docs.

The proper way to write acronyms in English (and most other languages that I
know of) is in all upper case, like this: SMTP

However, it seems that some people think that all upper case text looks
"scary" and so they write their acronyms in sentence case then it somehow
looks "less scary". The problem is, sometimes the new word has an entirely
different meaning, for example MIME (short for Multipurpose Internet Mail
Extensions) is *not* mime - which has its own meaning in English. Even worse,
sometimes completely new words are coined, like "mimetype".

Well, (to developers) if you have so many acronyms in your GUI perhaps you
should consider rephraseing. For example, instead of "MIME type" you might
want to say "file type", or "document type" or just "type". Most users
wouldn't know what MIME is even if it was relevant - and usually it isn't.

If we agree upon this I think it wouldn't be very hard to grep the sources for
mime and mimetype, I think I've found a 100 or so instances of this usage
alone in the GUI files. Just don't expect me to file a 100 reports with
Bugzilla :) "grep MIME" returns less matches then "grep mimetype".

Another situation comes when there's a console command to do something that
happens to be an acronym or a program name. So, for example, CVS stands for
Concurrent Versioning System, but in context of actions a developer will
usually write "cvs" to be consistent with the console. What's the purpose of
stating console commands in a GUI? Then just use the console, right?
Or, a menu option might say "mutt", but I would prefer "Mutt" cause it's a
program name afterall and not an English word which again is a source of
potential confusion and blahblah.

So please write your comments and suggestions for improvements.