List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Improving KDE with translators
From:       Erik =?utf-8?q?Kj=C3=A6r_Pedersen?= <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2004-08-27 22:24:09

Fredag 27 august 2004 18:04 skrev Rinse de Vries:
> Threat the problem by solving it, not by rating it :)

Indeed. The experienced users have typically started using an English word in
say Danish, and are taken aback if we think of a translation.That is a very
delicate balance, we have something called Dansk sprognævn, an offical
entity, and once they accept an English word I normally start using it too.

You can't judge a translation by the number of people on the team, andou
certainly can't judge a translation by finding that somebody has
translated ??? to ???. I am not sure what that example was supposed to mean

If you want to improve kde through translators you should make it easier for
the translators to give the developers feedback. I have just translated a
document where the author obviously does not understand the difference
between it's (short for it is) and its (genitive). I am not going to make a
bug report on that, because it is not really a bug, and most people will
understand it anyway, and I do translate what the developer think is written,
so the problem disappears in translation. But it looks rather silly. There
are many many instances where it would be useful to ask: what precisely is
meant by that string. I think it very often would lead to a
change/improvement of the strings, and I don't think it is a good idea to
make bug reports for these kind of things.

Erik