List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Improving KDE with translators
From:       Rinse de Vries <rinsedevries () kde ! nl>
Date:       2004-08-23 10:14:21

Op zondag 22 augustus 2004 09:04, schreef GĂ©rard Delafond:
> I suggest translations could be classified on a 5 stars scale
> -5 stars : perfect = 100% in GUIS, docs, screenshots, and no keyboard
> shortcuts clashes (as possible), more than 10 translators, more than 3
> years experience
- Over 10 translators does not mean that the quality improves. 3 dedicated
translaters give better quality then 30 parttime translators.
- About keyboard clashes, when i gave a keynote about kbabel, i used the
english version. The audience noticed that some screenshots contained more
than 10 clashes in one dialog..
- Also, 100% gui and doc means good quantity, not good quality. I sometimes
get document translations back where the translator had guessed the menu
entries, in stead of actually looking at the application while translating
the docs.
Also, some documenteers simply take over the gui misstakes in their docs..

You can't judge the quality of translations based on those terms. Then only
way to get an idea about the quality is like kde-apps does: ask the user to
rate the translations...

Rinse