List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Improving KDE with translators
From:       Gérard_Delafond <gerard () delafond ! org>
Date:       2004-08-19 23:21:31

Le vendredi 20 Août 2004 00:03, Rinse de Vries a écrit :
> Op donderdag 19 augustus 2004 16:25, schreef Jeroen Wijnhout:
> > Aaaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
> >
> > That is solved by the translator running the program of course!
>
> Not really, since there are a few problems:
Of course, no method can solve all the problems alone.
But you can reach some good result by combining.
> 1 - somethimes the string is not visible for the translator, because it is
> in a section that is inaccessible for him/her.
I know (error messages, for instance)
> 2 - the application is too unstable to run (to fix this we should not
> release translations with a .0-release)
So, if the translation is bad, nobody will see it ;-)
> 3 - it's hard to figure out which string is used where in the application
That's why we must test the translated progs.
> 4 - somethimes developers reuse strings in different contexts (wich can be
> solved with a comment about noun-verb, because then they are forced to use
> different strings for different contexts)
>
> If I look at the Dutch translation: kde is translated 'blind' during the
> first few months.
> As soon as KDE is stable enough, the translators install it and start using
> the apps to check if their translations make sense.
That is a good method. We usually do the same (french).

> Also the developers can help the translators improving their translations.
> For instance by using/checking the translation of their applications into
> their language.
> there are quite a lot Dutch developers that develop kde applications, but
> only a very few of them ever checked the Dutch translation of their
> programms.
The same for french

> Checking/using your programs in your own language does not only improve the
> translations, but also gives the developers an idea about the problems a
> translator can run into while translating the application.
>
> Kind regards, Rinse
Regards

Gerard