Le vendredi 20 Août 2004 00:03, Rinse de Vries a écrit : > Op donderdag 19 augustus 2004 16:25, schreef Jeroen Wijnhout: > > Aaaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! > > > > That is solved by the translator running the program of course! > > Not really, since there are a few problems: Of course, no method can solve all the problems alone. But you can reach some good result by combining. > 1 - somethimes the string is not visible for the translator, because it is > in a section that is inaccessible for him/her. I know (error messages, for instance) > 2 - the application is too unstable to run (to fix this we should not > release translations with a .0-release) So, if the translation is bad, nobody will see it ;-) > 3 - it's hard to figure out which string is used where in the application That's why we must test the translated progs. > 4 - somethimes developers reuse strings in different contexts (wich can be > solved with a comment about noun-verb, because then they are forced to use > different strings for different contexts) > > If I look at the Dutch translation: kde is translated 'blind' during the > first few months. > As soon as KDE is stable enough, the translators install it and start using > the apps to check if their translations make sense. That is a good method. We usually do the same (french). > > > Also the developers can help the translators improving their translations. > For instance by using/checking the translation of their applications into > their language. > there are quite a lot Dutch developers that develop kde applications, but > only a very few of them ever checked the Dutch translation of their > programms. The same for french > > Checking/using your programs in your own language does not only improve the > translations, but also gives the developers an idea about the problems a > translator can run into while translating the application. > > Kind regards, Rinse Regards Gerard