List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Language fall-back: proposal for a solution
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-05-16 10:09:43

On Sunday 16 May 2004 00:15, Heiko Evermann wrote:
> Hi Nicolas
>
> >>Well, at the moment a KDE application already loads 3 catalogs:
> >>* appname.po
> >>* kdelibs.po
> >>* kio.po
> >
> >No, you seem to have misunderstood me.
> >
> >You load neither 2 appname.po, nor 2 kdelibs.po nor 2 kio.po
>
> OK, let's go into the details (sorry for mixing up po-files and mo-files)

Well, I did it too yesterday. :-(

> KLocale::initCatalogue
> loads kdelibs.mo and kio.mo with these two lines
> <code>
>   // always include kdelibs's mo files
>   d->catalogues.append( KCatalogue( SYSTEM_MESSAGES ) );
>   d->catalogues.append( KCatalogue( "kio" ) );
> </code>

Yes, but this code means that you cannot restrict the discussion to KLocale
but you have to look further, at least to KCatalogue (and perhaps even to
kdelibs/kdecore/libintl.cpp .)

(...)
> Here we iterate through all loaded message catalogs and leave with the
> first translation that we find. So appname.mo can overrule kdelibs.po,
> if the same string is found in both. My idea is that if we have
> different appname.mo-files loaded for all languages that the user cares
> about, we would return the translation from the first language that
> translates the string, which would be exactly what I would like to see.
> And I do not seem to be the only one. Eduard Werner (Upper Sorbian) is
> having the same problem: partially translated files and users who are
> not neccessarily fluent in English.

And the Norwegian team is also asking for this since months (years?)

> So far I have not coded and tried this, but I would like to. Unless, of
> course, Coolo would explicitly say that we will not have this in KDE, so
> that I would not be able to check this in. Then I would save the effort
> for something else.

It will surely depend on how much it is changed. May be he would tell you to
wait KDE4 if there is too much to change.

(...)
> Kind regards,
>
> Heiko Evermann
> (Low Saxon translation team)