List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Language fall-back
From:       Eduard Werner <edi.werner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-05-15 14:49:01

Sobotu 15 meje 200415:12, Heiko Evermann pisaĊĦe:
> But does't this affect quite a lot of people? When I look around the
> translation statistics in i18n.kde.org, I find quite a lot of languages
> (especially the minority languages) where quite a number of po-files are
> incomplete. And whenever we have an incomplete po-file we get this kind of
> problem.

I second you here. Filling up .po-files is a bad idea IMHO because it would
make kbabel less convenient to use -- you couldn't jump to the next fuzzy or
untranslated entry any more.

> The current implementation forces people who use these languages to see the
> untranslated entries in English. I doubt that this is a good choice for
> most people.
>
> Think about the alternative: load the catalogs for all the languages that
> the user chose in kcontrol, and the user can choose what he gets to see. If
> he likes English, he can just choose one (his) language and English. But if
> he doesn't, he can pick any other language to fill in the gaps of his
> favourite translation. I guess, it might not even be too difficult to
> implement that?

I don't know. It will definitely make KDE a bit slower. Maybe when the
language settings get changed a new .mo-file could be generated containing
all the strings in all the languages you want for every program (I guess
msgmerge could already do that). The language settings of a user would then
result in a virtual "user language". That way KDE wouldn't have to load
several language catalogs.

> The current implementation follows some kind of "English first"-approach.
> (If your favorite language translates only part of the program, you will
> get the rest of it in English).
>
> I am not happy with that. Are you sure that everyone else out there is?

I'm definitely not happy with it, especially as my users don't have a good
command of English.

Cheers

Edi