List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Language fall-back
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-05-15 14:38:39

On Saturday 15 May 2004 12:36, Volker Jockheck wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> Tom Albers wrote:
> >Volker Jockheck <volkae@gmx.net> wrote:
> >>is this really the case that the blank fields are changed to english
> >>strings in the mo-file?
> >
> >Well, I guess these are not changed to anything, there is just no
> > translation available for the english text. A possible solution is not to
> > start with a emty template, but start with the german .po. That way all
> > the strings will be german exept the strings that you translate/change.
> > That way no english text should ever be visible, unless there is no
> > german translation is available.
>
> Sure this is a possible solution, but in my opinion not a good one for
> two reasons:
>

> - possibly there are also people in other countries using Low Saxon,
> e.g. Nederland, US, who might expect a fallback in their second language

Yes, but, as far as I understand, the I18N code can only load one language
catalogue of the same type (for example koffice.po). So back to American
English is possible (as it serves as index) but it is not possible to use
another language, which would need 2 language catalogues at the same time or
a slow on-the-fly procedure: unloading the old translation catalogue, loading
the new one, translating the string, unloading the new catalogue, reloading
the old one.

If your application is not at all translated, then the software can try to
load the next languages. In this case, there is no need of 2 translations.

> - we have to provide 'extra'-versions of our translation, maybe solved
> by a script, but for more than two languages I think it's not handy for us
>

> I don't know how the text extraction in the applications exactly works,
> but it is probably a good point for the wishlist? What do you think?

No, if you have not any manpower available to adapt the code to your need (see
the reaction of Stephan Kulow.)

> Greets
>
> Volker
> --