List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Language fall-back
From:       Volker Jockheck <volkae () gmx ! net>
Date:       2004-05-15 10:36:52

Thank you for your answer.

Tom Albers wrote:

> Volker Jockheck <volkae@gmx.net> wrote:
>

> > is this really the case that the blank fields are changed to english
> > strings in the mo-file?
> >

> Well, I guess these are not changed to anything, there is just no translation \
> available for the english text. A possible solution is not to start with a emty \
> template, but start with the german .po.  That way all the strings will be german \
> exept the strings that you translate/change. That way no english text should ever \
> be visible, unless there is no german translation is available.

Sure this is a possible solution, but in my opinion not a good one for
two reasons:

- possibly there are also people in other countries using Low Saxon,
e.g. Nederland, US, who might expect a fallback in their second language
- we have to provide 'extra'-versions of our translation, maybe solved
by a script, but for more than two languages I think it's not handy for us

I don't know how the text extraction in the applications exactly works,
but it is probably a good point for the wishlist? What do you think?

Greets

Volker
--
Volker Jockheck - volkae@gmx.net - Low Saxon translation team