List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Language fall-back
From:       Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan <sharuzzaman () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2004-05-15 11:02:09

Volker Jockheck wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, when your Low Saxon translation is not complete or
>> contain fuzzy string, the .mo file generated during compilation will
>> retain the English string inside the Low Saxon .mo file.
>

> is this really the case that the blank fields are changed to english
> strings in the mo-file?

According to
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/gettext_45.html#SEC45

"Only translated entries will later be compiled by GNU msgfmt and become
usable in programs. Other entry types will be excluded; translation will
not occur for them."

When reading
http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/gettext_136.html#SEC136

What I understand is the software find the offset of the English string,
and find the correspondence offset of the translated language. It does
not state what happen if the translated language is empty. Maybe it use
back the English string.

--
-----
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan