List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: "Upper Sorbian" in different languages
From:       "Prof. Dr. Eduard Werner / Edward Wornar" <e.werner () rz ! uni-leipzig ! de>
Date:       2004-04-27 9:10:13

Wutoru 27 apryla 200410:59 Lukáš Tinkl pisaše:
> Dne út 27. dubna 2004 10:49 Prof. Dr. Eduard Werner / Edward Wornar
napsal(a):
> > Wutoru 27 apryla 200409:53 Lukáš Tinkl pisaše:
> > > Interestingly enough, the Czech translation of Sorbian is really the
> > > same as Serbian ;-)
> >
> > Interestingly enough, it is not. Serbian is "srbský" while Sorbian is
> > "lužickosrbský". (*sigh*)
>
> I was referring to the second word (srbský) which is the same. "Lužicko-"
> only denotes the geographical location

Yes, etymologically it's the same. We use "serbski" for "Sorbian" and
"serbiski" for "Serbian". The person would be "Serb" in both cases, so we
call ourselves "Serbja" and the Serbian "Južni Serbja" (that would be
"Southern Sorbian").

Cheers

Edi
--
Prof. Dr. Eduard Werner / Edward Wornar
Institut für Sorabistik, Universität Leipzig

There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that
don't.