List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: migrating from 3.1 to 3.2, keyboard
From:       Mashrab Kuvatov <kmashrab () sat ! physik ! uni-bremen ! de>
Date:       2004-03-16 11:56:26

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 12:16, Arash Zeini wrote:

> This howto is a bit old now, but I assume that kxkb still works the same
> way. If you do not want to build the whole KDE from source - which I
> recommend for cases like this anyhow -, what you should do is, to make
> sure that the necessary changes are made to the source for the next KDE
> release.

Kxkb does not work this way. All keyboard relevant information is read from
xkb's config files.

I have some notes regarding your howto.

1. IMHO, the file should be copied into

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/

2. True.

3. Obsolete. /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/README reads

The keymap component provides a way how to set up one pre-defined keyboard
mapping from a given set. It has been obsoleted by 'rules' component which
is simplier and more flexible. The directory is preserved for compatibility
reasons. Avoid using it if it is possible.

4. Obsolete.

You can set up keyboard layouts in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "Keyboard"
    Protocol "Standard"
    XkbModel "pc105"
    XkbLayout "de (no dead keys),uz"
    XkbOptions "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
EndSection

With this setup I'm able to use German and Uzbek keyboard
layouts and switch between them using Alt+Shift.

Cheers,
Mashrab.
--
Mashrab Kuvatov