List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: migrating from 3.1 to 3.2, keyboard
From:       Arash Zeini <a.zeini () farsikde ! org>
Date:       2004-03-16 11:28:35

In a message dated Tuesday 16 March 2004 14:34, Prof. Dr. Eduard Werner /
Edward Wornar wrote:

> Wutoru 16 měrca 200411:43 Arash Zeini pisaše:
> > In a message dated Tuesday 16 March 2004 14:03, Prof. Dr. Eduard
> > Werner /
> >
> > Edward Wornar wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > having about 18% of kdebase + kdelibs translated, we want to migrate
> > > from 3.1 to 3.2. What's the feasible way to do it?
> > >
> > > Furthermore, we would like KDE to recognise our keyboard layouts
> > > (till now xmodmap files) as selectable. I understand they are in xkb
> > > format; what are the necessary steps?
> >
> > See if this document helps you:
> >
> > http://www.farsikde.org/keyboard.php
>
> Thanks a lot! But I gather from this that adding a new keyboard layout
> requires recompiling of kxkb? That means getting all of the KDE sources
> and recompiling quite some stuff, doesn't it? Couldn't kxkb just read
> what keyboard layouts there are so if you add one you get it offered
> immediately?
>
> Best
>
> Edi

This howto is a bit old now, but I assume that kxkb still works the same
way. If you do not want to build the whole KDE from source - which I
recommend for cases like this anyhow -, what you should do is, to make
sure that the necessary changes are made to the source for the next KDE
release.

Greetings,
Arash
--