List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: migrating from 3.1 to 3.2, keyboard
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-03-16 12:15:27

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 11:33, Prof. Dr. Eduard Werner / Edward Wornar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> having about 18% of kdebase + kdelibs translated, we want to migrate from
> 3.1 to 3.2. What's the feasible way to do it?

The goal of a KDE translation is to translate the file templates in kde-i18n/
templates. (Be careful to take the right branch!)

So for changing versions, you have to merge the new templates with your old
translations to keep as many translations as possible.

The easiest way is of course when having a language that is in the kde-i18n
module (which seems not the case here.) In this case, just use your old files
to create new files with names corresponding to the file templates (in
kde-i18n/templates). (If you have a file example.po and that there is still a
template example.po, then you keep your old file example.po in your new
translation. If a template was split, for example into example1.pot and
example2.pot, you have to copy your old file example.po twice, once as
example1.po and once as example2.po. If the template does not exist anymore,
you will have to delete your coresponding translation.) Then Scripty, the
automatic translation system of KDE will do its work, normally the next
(European) night. After Scripty has worked, you can start to translate the
new strings.

However I suppose that your language is not in kde-i18n, so you have to do it
by hand. The templates that you have to translate are of course still the
ones in kde-i18n/templates. You still have to sort out the translation files
to look like the new templates. But Scripty will do nothing for you, so you
have to do the message merge by yourself with the program msgmerge (from the
gettext package), file by file (for example your old example.po merged with
the new template example.pot will give you your new example.po .)

(...)

> Cheers

Have a nice day!