List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Names of town in their original language (was Re: kstars is in
From:       Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre () nbi ! dk>
Date:       2003-03-28 13:37:45

Pjetur G. Hjaltason wrote:
> Şann (föstudagur 28. mars 2003 11:50) skrifaği Pablo de
> Vicente

> >  Well, I am a KStars developer. That is why I am asking
> > the general question to have a standard criteria.
>
> I am translating the KStars for Icelandic usage and as I
> was scrolling down this list to translate, I was just
> thinking the same thoughts.  Should this be in the local
> language or not.

Considering that all the other texts we translate have
English (or is it American English) as the original
language, I think it should be like that for place names
too.  This will also free us from having to take side in
cases where there is a political dispute over which language
i the primary language in an area.

> My thoughts though, are on why this is not a pop-up box
> whenever you have to select a place on the globe.  Why am
> I translating these names, places again and again, for
> keyboardlayout, language, addresses, time-rules, (the list
> goes on and on).

Good point.

> Could this Position/Country issue not be solved once and
> for all with a separate translation po(t) file. I assume
> some additional information would have to be
> added/removed. And you would have a similar way of
> selecting.

It could at least partially be solved that way.  There will
still be problems whenever place names have to be used in a
running text (like there are with dates).

Is there already, besides what can be found in KStars, a
free database of places and their names in various languages
that can be used and/or expanded for this purpose?

Jacob
--
"Those who will not reason, are bigots,
 those who cannot, are fools, and