List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Names of town in their original language (was Re: kstars is in strings freeze for 1.0 release)
From:       "Pjetur G. Hjaltason" <pjetur () pjetur ! net>
Date:       2003-03-28 13:14:45

Hello all

Þann (föstudagur 28. mars 2003 11:50) skrifaði Pablo de Vicente

>  Well, I am a KStars developer. That is why I am asking the general
> question to have a standard criteria.

I am translating the KStars for Icelandic usage and as I was scrolling
down this list to translate, I was just thinking the same thoughts.  Should
this be in the local language or not.

I assume I am fairly fluent in geography and know a lot of places by their
Icelandic name (as well as English).  But there are places that I have never
heard of and do not know where to begin to look for the correct name.

The usage would obviously be for my kid to jump into KStars and select his
position Reykjavik/Iceland.  The map is a great help and you can quickly
narrow this down.  And of course the name would be Reykjavík/Ísland in my
local language.

Then my thought were on why this would not ONLY be in my local language since
I would 99.99% be looking for MY position on the globe, not others.  But then
again I might want to know the position of stars in SidneyAustralia, where my
friends live.  That's OK but then what about Japan, Russian, Chinese.. If
they were in their own language I might enjoy the nice letters, but no wiser.
So I guess we have to have a reference-language and translate this (or not) to
the local language.

My thoughts though, are on why this is not a pop-up box whenever you have to
select a place on the globe.  Why am I translating these names, places again
and again, for keyboardlayout, language, addresses, time-rules, (the list
goes on and on).

Could this Position/Country  issue not be solved once and for all with a
separate translation po(t) file. I assume some additional information would
have to be added/removed. And you would have a similar way of selecting.
More like the popular dropdown calendar.

Just my 2 cents,

Regards, Pjetur