List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kde-i18n/templates
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-20 11:34:48

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:18:43 +0200 (MEST), malcolm.hunter@gmx.co.uk
wrote:

>> already.

>> > Oh, I was going to suggest splitting these into separate country and
>> city
>> > entries - that way we could have countries and cities in
>> common_texts.cpp.
>>
>> This would mean another 370+ messages in kdelibs.po which is around 3100
>> strings already.
>
>But it would also mean that we wouldn't have to deal with hundreds of
>strings every time someone wants to add a list of countries, cities, etc. to their
>program.

I'm all for avoiding string duplication (and there is still a _lot_
which could be done in this respect). OTOH, if kdelibs.po continues to
grow at the same pace it did over the last year we will soon reach the
point where it becomes unreasonable to expect every (new) team to have
this file completely translated.

Therefore, I would very much prefer a solution that would keep well
defined string packages like this timezone thing separate (while still
avoiding string duplication) -- if at all possible. As everybody knows,
I'm not a programmer and can't judge eg on Eric's suggestion that
"common_texts.cpp could load several message catalogs". But from a
practical perspective I would appreciate it very much if something like
this could be worked out.

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/