List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    References to text on buttons and menus
From:       Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre () nbi ! dk>
Date:       2002-08-23 7:31:32

I may simply have a bad memory, but I find it difficult to
translate strings like:

  »... and then press the button "Keep Settings" to ...«

My problem is that I am sometimes uncertain about which
"Keep settings" button the text refers to, and how it was
translated to Faroese.

Would it be possible to change such strings, so they simply
contain a reference to the actual text of the button (or
menu) in question, so the translator simply can keep the
reference and stop worrying about the exact wording of the
button in question? Something like:

  »... and then press the button "&KeepSettingsButton;" to ...«

to use the (SG|X)ML style from the documentation. In the
translated string, the entity name should be maintained:

  »... og tryst so á "&KeepSettingsButton;"-knappurin fyri at ...«

This technique can of course only be used where there is a
reference to an exact and complete string appearing in the
user interface.

I am aware that it will take some work for the programmers,
but I think it would improve and speed up the translation
process significantly.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
"Any, sufficiently advanced, technology is indistinguishable from magic."