List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating of jokes in programs.
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-26 9:14:04

Am Freitag, 26. April 2002 10:30 schrieb Piotr Szymański:

> How should we handle jokes in translations?

From the perspective of the German team the answer is simple: We usually
don't translate them at all. We are trying to give a technical, sober,
matter of fact overall impression of KDE and don't think that funny stuff
really belongs there. We also do not use personal strings (programs saying
"I" or "me"). Exceptions are possible, of course. Usually in games and,
maybe, in some edu programs. But this is strictly a German perspective.

> I would like to know
> what is your view on this. Are there any directives/outlines from the
> kde-i18n coords?

Since there wasn't a real consensus on "KDE style" beyond the draft at
http://i18n.kde.org/doc/content.html yet I don't think we should tell try
and tell the teams how to handle this. Esp. since user expectations vary a
lot between different countries and cultures. In the US for example the
style of many technical books is a lot more casual then in most European
countries. Things will differ again in African an Asian environments. We
should not try to level out our cultural differences.

> PS. To Thomas: Would you allow me to mention Michal Rudolf in the i18n-pl
> KTC page? He is not a coordinator

Well, these pages are meant as contact informations for new users and for
other KDEers who need to know who is really responsible and is allowed to
"talk for a team" (to a certain degree). It is not a "hall of fame" page.
For this there always was a credits page on www.kde.org somewhere and, of
course, there are the individual team pages where every language group
should make it clear who is doing what.

If you feel the need for a co-maintainer (eg for documentation or to share
other responsibilites) this would be another story.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/