List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Fwd: [kde-doc-english]Attn all: Markup Changes
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2002-01-27 20:29:54

On Sunday 27 January 2002 09:52, Eric Bischoff wrote:
> 5:  And finally, we're working on changing the way the (tm) and (r) is
> marked in the HTML output, and eventually we hope you as authors won't have
> to worry about it.  For now however, it is VERY important that you markup
> trademark names.

So now the docs are safe, what about the program code? From no application in
particular:

./conduits/popmail/popmail-conduit.cc:
showMessage(i18n("Error writing mail message to Pilot"));

This is referring to the 3Com (r) PalmPilot (tm) device; the usage of the
word is such that its meaning also encompasses *all* Palm Computing (tm) OS
devices, including Handspring (tm) Visors (tm). Should programs with error
messages and/or tooltips include trademark information as well? (Possibly we
could add a "Trademarks are the properties of their respective owners" to the
about box and refer to the docs for fuller acknoledgement).

As for this particular situation, I can quote from O'Reilley's "Palm
Programming" : "People call them Pilots; the company calls them Palm
devices." I notice the same book only does the (tm) and (r) thing in the
foreword.