List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Quanta CVS module, Sourceforge project, docs and message templates
From:       Éric Bischoff <e.bischoff () noos ! fr>
Date:       2001-12-20 9:30:46

> (A long explanation why we lost contact)

It's okay, we are all overwhelmed too, we know what it is.

> I am looking at whether to commit the recent work as a
> KDE_2_2_BRANCH or see if I can leave it unbranched and get it to run with
> ifdefs. I hope to have this resolved shortly.

KDE 2.2 branch is dead, I think you'd better go for HEAD.

> Status of Quanta documentation - There is nearly none.

I've converted the little that exists into docbook format, and this work has
been translated to some languages (French for example). Could we use this a s
a start?

> Dmitry told me early on that he felt people should be able to intuitively
> understand Quanta.

Are you trying the old "our program is so intuitive that it does not need
doc" joke on us? ;-)

> We will begin documentation shortly. The
> documentation available with Quanta is not Quanta documention, it is
> optional documentation for html, php, css and javascript. It is used for
> context sensitive help and it more resembles the docs in kdevelop. Now...
> if that needs to be converted and can be done while maintaining
> functionality I am happy to be enlightened. I do want to do everything I
> can to help with the internationalization of Quanta as long as it does not
> impair functionality.

Perharps a good idea would be to take the docbook files as a starting point,
increasing it by recuperating the present HTM+PHP+CSS+javascript stuff,
and then maintaining this DocBook stuff? The kde-doc-english team can help
you building this doc. But the translators from kde-i18n-doc don't want to
start translating HTML docs and such.

> 4) Quanta CVS status - my apologies, I will endeavor to get it brought up
> to date this week. I have been very busy and have been trying to get the
> KDE 3 version to work so I could avoid the extra work of a branch. I'd like
> to be consulted before removal. If you're eager to remove something
> webmaker in kdenonbeta is, last I checked, KDE 1 vintage.

As long as we know you don't consider it dead, there's no reason for removing
it. And since we have a KDE CVS module for it, perharps we should move the
quanta files from others/ to quanta/.

> 5) Source Forge CVS - I have no idea what you're talking about. I've looked
> and everything I have seen there is 19 months old! We DO NOT use
> sourceforge and the project there is KDE 1 vintage. Internationalizing it
> seems absurd as we don't even support it... I have just not cleared out
> CVS.

Is there a way to remove the project from SourceForeg so this kind of
confusion doesn't happen anymore?

> 6) KDE pot and po files. We have been maintaining these in our recent work
> so when I commit it to CVS shortly it will be in much better shape than it
> has been. Again my apologies.

Cool.

> Having said all that I will say that I am a little new to all the ins and
> outs of of C++ coding for KDE while I have 25 years of experience off and
> on in coding. I may not get something the first time but I intend to be a
> team player. As soon as I have someone working on docs I will have them
> immediately in touch with you to be sure that we do everything by the book.
> For the time being we have just been a little disorganized. I have had more
> than my share of upheaval this year and I can't imagine 2002 not being 100
> times better.
>
> I apologize for any confusion. In the future please contact me to resolve
> any difficulties and I will respond immediately and do what I can to
> resolve issues. Thanks, and I do appreciate your work.

Gret we got this answer, I think we'll be able to do good work with you
translating and documenting quanta.