List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Kiten?
From:       jason () katzbrown ! com
Date:       2001-11-20 15:11:07

Quoting Stephan Kulow <coolo@kde.org>:

> On Tuesday, 20. November 2001 00:58, Erik Kjær
> Pedersen wrote:
> > Kiten.pot just showed up in kdenonbeta. What
> is that? It looks very
> > specialized something about English/Japanese
> stuff. Is that really a
> > program that needs to get translated
> >
> I guess it comes down to question if danish
> people want to input japanese
> characters.
>
> My guess would be no, but that could be said for
> english speaking people too,
> so why is this program written in English and
> not in Japanese? I don't know ;(

Well.. learning Japanese seems to be very popular here
in the states (I'm taking it now in high school, for
example). However, people who don't already speak
English need to learn English, so that cuts down on them
wanting to learn Japanese.

> Jason?

I don't know.. I do suppose the very very high majority
of people learning Japanese as a second language would
have English as their first language. Japanese would of
course also benefit from Kiten... so I wouldn't feel
disrespected or anything if nobody translated it ;)

Then again.. Charles Samuels mentioned the other day how
he was going to try to make Kiten work with his
Norwegian dictionaries etc.. so I don't know either.

> Greetings, Stephan

Cheers,
Jason

--