List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: Fwd: kfm not resolving URI correctly
From:       Torben Weis <weis () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-03-22 0:30:52

Hi,

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, David Faure wrote:

> > I would really like to put the samba stuff in real URLs, too. It
> > simplifies the things for all users which are not used to the windows
> > shit. For them the windows drived should look like everything else, too,
> > in KDE. And handling a complete new syntax in Konqueror or at least KURL
> > seem no good idea for me.
> >
> > Well, come to think of it, KURL should perhaps be able to parse this shit
> > and end up in a state that is equal to the state it would have gotten in
> > by reading a real URL describing the same ressource.
> >
> > But that still means that I would like to mape the //host//share grap
> > to some URL.
>
> I see no problem in using smb:// (or samba://) as a protocol, since it's
> consistent with ftp, file, http, ...
> And that would mean : keep KURL simple (and out of it).
>
> But that's the job of the guy who will hopefully convert smblib into a
> kio_smb kioslave.
>
> Our problem is handling such URLs as //www.kde.org

From what I heared from windows users you are making your life too easy
:-)

In one of the mails I got somebody told me, that host OR share may
have defaults. I hope that somebody tells me that this is wronge, because
the default host is easy to describe: Just dont use //

samba:/share/path

But what to do if the share has a default ?

smb://host/xyz

may be the default share with host xyz or the share xyz with no special
path. That is damn ugly!

But perhaps my information is wrong. In addition I heared that they have
workgroups which are somehow represented, too .....
It may be more tricky then you think.

On your topic David:

Our problem WAS to discuss how to handle URLs like //www.kde.org.
I dont see any open points here anymore.

Bye
Torben