List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: konqueror/DESIGN
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-02-19 13:36:58

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> > If we want to reply to some message - eh now, does composer
> > pop up as different window or shows up in konquerror? I think it is up to user
> > to decide. Some will want everything in konquerror, others different windows.
>
> Different window. Konqueror is a browser (cq. viewer cq. navigator cq.
> explorer)
> not a composer. Replying brings up the full kmail application.
Hmm, why? If you can do all the viewing and managing stuff in kfm itīs
IMHO nonsense to launch the complete kmail application. It would be
enough to just start up a composer window. Because mail reading and
writing are mostly no separate tasks. At least I do it normally in
parallel. And if the kmail application is started up anyway why show
mails in konqueror at all?
IMHO the mail application should integrate itself smoothly into
konqueror. What I imagine what a kmail plugin should provide is: display
the folders when browsing the file system(for instance in the tree),
using the HTML view to show the mail itself, providing a part to display
the content of a folder (or may be that could even be just another kfm
protocol extension, than kmail neednīt actually export a view,hmm...:)),
popup composer, addressbook or widgets like that if needed and provide
menu and toolbar entries as well as some background controling.
The user is of course free to launch kmail as standalone application or
for writing a mail.

But thatīs future, of course. We first need to settle konqueror itself!

> The message I try to spread to the user is "konqueror is a browser, when
> you
> want to do something you need an application".
>
> LMB: view (konqueror)
> RMB: change (application)
I wouldnīt think so absolute. This is true of course for a complex
graphics applications, office applications or apps like that. But mail,
news or personal informaton management apps make sense to be integrated
in konqueror (optional of course).

> > Other way:
> > - konquerror determines that clikced file is type "application/mailbox", which
> >   is handled by application kmail. It reads from kmail's *.kdelnk (or partlnk?)
> >   what menu entries to add.
> > - If user clicks to, let's say, "Compact" konquerror starts kmail with
> >   command like "Dear kmail, please compact mailbox /home/sven/Mail/inbox. Yours,
> >   konqueror"
> >
> > Other way seems faster to me. Other way specialized apps would be started each
> > time use presses RMB. That would be slower; user perhaps only wants to do
> > "Move to trash" which is common entry to all files.
>
> I think this "Other way" is a very good idea.
Second it! But it should be executed in background or only display a
progress bar.

> > The other way also apllies. KMail shows attachment of type "application/x-zip".
> > User clicks RMB, and popup provided by konquerror, not kmail, pops up.
> > Konquerror knows that zip belongs to Archiver, so it shows speciffic menu
> > entries for handling zip files (for example "Extract to..."; if user clicks on
> > it konquerror starts archiver and tells it to ask user where to extraxt files
> > to)
>
> Yes... this is how it should be.
Right.

> > >Creating does not really belong in a browser
Partly IMHO:)

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology