List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: konqueror/DESIGN
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () ens ! ascom ! ch>
Date:       1999-02-19 14:44:44

Michael Reiher wrote:

> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> >
> > > If we want to reply to some message - eh now, does composer
> > > pop up as different window or shows up in konquerror? I think it is up to user
> > > to decide. Some will want everything in konquerror, others different windows.
> >
> > Different window. Konqueror is a browser (cq. viewer cq. navigator cq.
> > explorer)
> > not a composer. Replying brings up the full kmail application.
> Hmm, why?

Because Konqueror is not a mail program nor intents to be.

> If you can do all the viewing and managing stuff in kfm itīs
> IMHO nonsense to launch the complete kmail application.
> It would be enough to just start up a composer window. Because mail
> reading and writing are mostly no separate tasks. At least I do it
> normally in parallel. And if the kmail application is started up anyway
> why show mails in konqueror at all?

If you click on a file which happens to be a mailbox it makes sense to
show it as a list of messages instead as a plain text file.

> IMHO the mail application should integrate itself smoothly into
> konqueror. What I imagine what a kmail plugin should provide is: display
> the folders when browsing the file system(for instance in the tree),
> using the HTML view to show the mail itself, providing a part to display
> the content of a folder (or may be that could even be just another kfm
> protocol extension, than kmail neednīt actually export a view,hmm...:)),

Yes.

> popup composer, addressbook or widgets like that if needed and provide
> menu and toolbar entries as well as some background controling.

No. These are tasks for a mail program. Not for konqueror.

> The user is of course free to launch kmail as standalone application or
> for writing a mail.
>
> But thatīs future, of course. We first need to settle konqueror itself!
> >
> > The message I try to spread to the user is "konqueror is a browser, when
> > you
> > want to do something you need an application".
> >
> > LMB: view (konqueror)
> > RMB: change (application)
> I wouldnīt think so absolute. This is true of course for a complex
> graphics applications, office applications or apps like that. But mail,
> news or personal informaton management apps make sense to be integrated
> in konqueror (optional of course).

Hmm... If you happen to come across a message/mailbox on your
filesystem,
konqueror should be able to show it in a nice way. But for reading your
daily mail you should just use a mail-program. I don't see the advantage
of having that in konqueror.

The same for PIM (personal information manager), if you happen to
stumble
across a PIM database/vcard, it is nice if konqueror can show it in a
way that
makes sense, but using konqueror as a PIM would be strange imho.

What _IS_ important is to have an easy way to move from this "view-only"
mode into the real-application.

> > > Other way:
> > > - konquerror determines that clikced file is type "application/mailbox", which
> > >   is handled by application kmail. It reads from kmail's *.kdelnk (or partlnk?)
> > >   what menu entries to add.
> > > - If user clicks to, let's say, "Compact" konquerror starts kmail with
> > >   command like "Dear kmail, please compact mailbox /home/sven/Mail/inbox. Yours,
> > >   konqueror"
> > >
> > > Other way seems faster to me. Other way specialized apps would be started each
> > > time use presses RMB. That would be slower; user perhaps only wants to do
> > > "Move to trash" which is common entry to all files.
> >
> > I think this "Other way" is a very good idea.
> Second it! But it should be executed in background or only display a
> progress bar.

Yes. Another nice option could be "Print". Imagine a JPG, when you click
"Print" the image-viewer gets launched and you get the Print-dialog of
the image-viewer. (The rest of the image-viewer can be minimized).
Intersting question: should the applications automatically quit, after
it has finished printing?

Cheers,
Waldo