List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: Follow-up on Japanese translations
From:       中井 =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOSxHbhsoQg==?= <g-nakai () i
Date:       1998-10-01 2:44:01

> So far there are three encoding methods for Japanese:
> 1. Shift JIS --- used in Windows and DOS environment.
> 2. JIS --- its official name is ISO-2022-JP and it's defined under RFC1468.
> 3. EUC --- used in UNIX.

On UNIX, we Japanese must EUC because gcc compiler or other tools ( such
as gettext) can't recognize JIS or Shift JIS. So all Japanized documents
and message on the usual UNIX ( Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, SunOS, etc ) is
EUC.

But about the Internet protocol, all they must ( or should ) be JIS,
because alphabet optimized router sometimes lacks the 8th bit of EUC.
So the mailer ( KMail? ), web browser, or every other client must
convert EUC <-> JIS in Japan.

S-JIS is also used on the Job's MacOS.