List:       kde-i18n
Subject:    Re: Follow-up on Japanese translations
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-09-30 19:23:16

Lee Wee Tiong wrote:

> Dear everyone,
>
> thanks for the numerous replies in such a short time.  And now, first let me
> answer a few questions directed to me:
>
> Eric Bischoff asked:
> >I forgot to ask you a very simple question: what is your native language?
> >Wouldn't you prefer translating to that language?
>
> My native language is Chinese, but I don't think I can translate anything to
> that.  Daily conversation, no problem; but when it comes to things
> scientific and technological, I use English, and recently, Japanese.  This
> is a result of the education I received / am receiving.  And it makes sense
> to translate to Japanese because I'm in Japan now and I'd be one of those
> who would benefit from the translations. :-)
>
> James Miller suggested to me to do some translations first; even though it
> might not be of any use now, it might become useful in the near future.  And
> Eric recommended starting with the apps first before moving on to the
> documentation, which I agree.
>
> But according to Stephan Kulow, it seems impossible to translate into
> Japanese because there is no none-unicode encoding for it.  I'm not very
> clear about this, and anyway, unicode doesn't represent Japanese well
> anyway.  It tends to mix up Chinese characters with Japanese characters,
> which makes Japanese linguist purists unhappy.
>
> So far there are three encoding methods for Japanese:
> 1. Shift JIS --- used in Windows and DOS environment.
> 2. JIS --- its official name is ISO-2022-JP and it's defined under RFC1468.
> 3. EUC --- used in UNIX.
>
> I think we can forget about Shift-JIS, so if I were to translate, I'd choose
> either JIS or EUC.  But there's one problem with my linux desktop.  It isn't
> Japanese-capable as yet....  I have to go download all the relevant software
> from the Internet and it'd probably take quite some time... unless someone
> is willing to settle for a Shift-JIS translation, which would probably not
> work in a LINUX/UNIX environment.

If the encoding is unicode or not doesn't matter as long as your X
server
can represent 8bit character strings. I can't help you with this, you
have
to know. But when it's possible for chinese, I hope, it is possible for
japanese too.

Greetings, Stephan

--
NOTE: condom may only be used with a hard disk. condom will
terminate abnormally with exit code -1 if used with a floppy