List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] Client-Master
From:       Burkhard Lehner <Burkhard.Lehner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-04-12 21:45:09

Hi, Martin!

> There is an obvious extension to your proposal: Extend the KExtendedSocket
> with the missing functionality from QSocket. Then all of KDE can profit
> from it!

Why not the other way round? Extend QSocket with the missing support for
SOCKS? Maybe that would be possible by just subclassing QSocket. Or one would
have to change the QSocket code, but - hey! - Qt is GPL now!

I think that is a big problem in KDE development: There are too many classes
doing just the same. That won't help keeping the libraries small and fast.
And since everyone knows that KDE classes have very bad API reference
documentation, it is really hard for a developer to choose the right one.

Why is there another KSocket class instead of using QSocket, which is just
excellent? And there is QServerSocket, QSocketDevice and QDns, three more
excellent classes, but noone seems to be willing to use them. What's the
reason?

Bye,
	Burkhard