List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] Client-Master
From:       Burkhard Lehner <Burkhard.Lehner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-04-12 21:42:13

Hi, George! Hi, Developers!

Thanks for your hint. I am still a little upset about the incorrect
information on kde.org. I downloaded the kdelibs for version 2.1 and 2.1.1,
but they don't include kextsock. So I downloaded 15 MByte, just to have a
look into one single class!

Having a look into KExtendedSocket's sources, it seems to me that
KExtendedSocket does block on DNS lookup. And it will be very difficult to
change that behavior, since the code is very large and uses gethostbyname and
the others quite often.

Furthermore, KExtendedSocket does NOT buffer the input and output, making it
really difficult to work with it. Just have a look at the code in
kgameclient.cpp, so see how much code is needed to do the buffering on our
own. All this code can simply be deleted using QSocket. The source code would
be just a quarter of what it is now.

Having a closer look at the documentation of QSocket, I can't see a reason
why QSocket doesn't support IPv6. Since QDns can resolve IPv6 addresses,
QSocket should also do it. Can anyone comment on this?

> You really should be using the code in libkdecore though.  It' contains a
> lot of the platform independed and kde-uniformity that should be in all
> applications.

When writing a library, you should always try to avoid other libraries as
much as possible, when there is not a really good reason why to use it. So if
QSocket can just do what we need, and there is no other KDE class needed, it
would be nice to have a games library that is independant from kdecore.
Non-KDE games could use the lib without need to have libkdecore installed.

Bye,
	Burkhard