List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] Client-Master
From:       Burkhard Lehner <Burkhard.Lehner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-04-13 18:48:24

Hi, Developers!

After a long search for all the classes and looking into the source code, I
found out that:

 - QSocket doesn't yet support IPv6
 - KExtendedSocket and therefore KSocket is blocking, not only while host
    lookup but also while connecting.

Therefore none of both is the perfect choice.

I would suggest the following approach for the socket stuff:

I change the code in KGameClient and KGameConnectionServer for using QSocket.
And I write a small wrapper class (e.g. "KBufferedSocket"), that is a
subclass of QSocket but uses KExtendedSocket for connecting. This wrapper
class could be easily replaced again with QSocket when QSocket supports
everything we like. Or, if this will not happen (what I don't expect), it
could be made a part of kdecore and replace KSocket in the near future, since
it is much easier to use.

Any other suggestions or comments? I will start my work over the easter days,
and if it compiles okay, I will commit it. (Others will have to test it,
since I haven't the chance to test it on a real network, and connections on
localhost are boring :-))

Bye,
	Burkhard