List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] technical question
From:       Josef Spillner <dr_maux () maux ! de>
Date:       2001-03-15 18:11:41

Hello,

On Thu 15 Mar 2001 13:35 Steffen Schultz wrote:
[...]
> My problem is now that I don't want to compile the whole program each time
> I change one of the robot's code. Is there a way, that the main program
> doesn't have to be compiled and the robots itself are in separated binary
> files that send their commands to the main programmed and will get their
> information back from this main program. So how can I write different
> binary files that communicate with each other?

There are three ways I see here:

1. The clean way:
Outsource the robots into shared libs. You have a base class (Robot), which
you can retrieve by a factory (yeah, that ugly "extern C" stuff, hehe), and
the actual robot is then RobotSomething. You can then distibute the robots as
separate librobot<name>.so.x.y, but don't forget to package them together
with their source then.

2. The alternative way:
Use different languages, like a C/C++ main program and Python'ized robots.
This may be interesting for those who are python programmers (I'm not,
unfortunately).

3. The ultra cool way:
Use a C interpreter (there should be one on every major distribution), this
will take about 40'000 lines of extra source code, but you are then even able
to distribute code changes over networks and re-interpret them dynamically.
Just some ideas for the next years ;)

If you want to keep them in Pascal you should have a look at FreePascal.
Probably it can load sh'libs too.

Josef

--
The MindX Project - http://mindx.sourceforge.net