List:       kde-games-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-games-devel] Regarding Mancala
From:       "=?iso-8859-1?q?Ga=EBl?= \(aka Kleag\)" <kleag () free ! fr>
Date:       2010-05-03 22:04:28

Concerning the tutorial. Maybe a quick and easy solution for Mancala (I did
not try it) would be to add a link in the main window (with a "Don't show
anymore") to a tutorial/introduction in the manual.

Gaël
On Monday 03 May 2010 23:51:03 Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> I do not disagree with your review, Dimitry. I think you summarize the
>
> situation well in your first paragraph:
> > Disclaimer: these points apply if we want to re-consider our quality
> > standards for the games to meet to be included in kdegames. If we review
> > the games by comparing to the existing ones in our module, then mancala
> > is more or less ok.
>
> That was my metric: comparison with the existing ones. I mentioned the
> problem with the lack of theme configuration, and your points about
> difficulty, the combobox and hardcoded stuff are very important as
> well.
>
> > Otherwise:
> > I do not read manuals. I want
> > gameplay. So. At least basic tutorial is needed.
>
> Ideally, yes. The manual is kind of ok, it gives the basics for this
> type of game, and explains that the variations that are included
> depend on the region, etc. It is no substitute for a tutorial. But if
> we implement the "tutorial is needed" rule, then almost all of our
> existing games have to be worked on. My point is: if you take you
> description of your mother opening up Mancala (which is accurate) and
> substitute it by Kmahjongg, KShisen, KMines and many others the
> problem would be more or less the same :) So we are already in deep
> trouble regarding mothers and games. :)
>
> So I do not disagree, but I am not sure how we should handle this.
> Maybe it-s is right, and we should simply purge most games and
> implement a new level of quality needed (let us say for 4.6). Then we
> would only have very good games in the module, but I believe only 4 or
> 5 now would make the cut (KPat, KGoldrunner and maybe 2 or 3 more).
> This might not be a bad thing after all, it can be a shake up that
> will produce better stuff in the near future.
>
> Regards,
> Mauricio Piacentini

KsirK - a world domination strategy game
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Games/Tactic_and_Strategy/KsirK

KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer and editor based on a reusable
part
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kgraphviewer