List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Re: [OFFTOPIC?] Open KDE Initiative Proposal
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-12-07 12:43:08

Christof Petig wrote:

> Avus wrote:
>
> > Open KDE Initiative Proposal
> >
> > One of the die-hard prejudices concerning KDE is that it isn't
> > 'flexible' enough, with respect to other programming languages, window
> > manager, toolkits etc.
> > In the current discussion of the main arguments against Qt is that when
> > KDE becomes very widespread (some would say de-facto standard), so does
> > Qt. And as Qt costs money for proprietary programmes, this may be bad
> > for the adoption of Linux in the commercial world. Harmony should
> > therefor play the role of a "charity" for shareware authors, to promote
> > the market for (cheap) shareware.
> >
> > This idea is based on the wrong assumption  that KDE application == Qt
>
> wrong??? First time I hear this! KDE + not Qt is definitely a rare
> exception.
>
> > application. It's true that KDE itself (libraries, basic applications)
> > makes use of Qt, but this will never be a problem as all of this is free
> > software.
> >
> > KDE compliant applications, however, can of course use other toolkits,
> > they only have to follow the KDE standards. Prominent examples are
> > StarOffice 5 and the upcoming Wordperfect 8.
>
> I would like to know how much they had to invest to get this working.
> Though it might be less years*developers*US$1000.

I doubt that. The interesting about it is, that KDE is free software.
You don't have to learn by mistakes, you just look at the code. And
the most important stuff (kdelnk files, file system, etc.) is
documented.

Greetings, Stephan

--
Carol: When you first entered the restaurant, I thought you were
handsome... and then, of course, you spoke. - As Good as It Gets