List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    [freeqt] Re: [OFFTOPIC?] Open KDE Initiative Proposal
From:       Christof Petig <christof.petig () wtal ! de>
Date:       1998-12-07 10:04:14

Avus wrote:

> Open KDE Initiative Proposal
>
> One of the die-hard prejudices concerning KDE is that it isn't
> 'flexible' enough, with respect to other programming languages, window
> manager, toolkits etc.
> In the current discussion of the main arguments against Qt is that when
> KDE becomes very widespread (some would say de-facto standard), so does
> Qt. And as Qt costs money for proprietary programmes, this may be bad
> for the adoption of Linux in the commercial world. Harmony should
> therefor play the role of a "charity" for shareware authors, to promote
> the market for (cheap) shareware.
>
> This idea is based on the wrong assumption  that KDE application == Qt

wrong??? First time I hear this! KDE + not Qt is definitely a rare
exception.

> application. It's true that KDE itself (libraries, basic applications)
> makes use of Qt, but this will never be a problem as all of this is free
> software.
>
> KDE compliant applications, however, can of course use other toolkits,
> they only have to follow the KDE standards. Prominent examples are
> StarOffice 5 and the upcoming Wordperfect 8.

I would like to know how much they had to invest to get this working.
Though it might be less years*developers*US$1000.

> Please let me know if this sounds like a sensible suggestion to you.

I like this project, though IMHO this project proposal belongs to
  gnome-kde@gnome.org (please check at www.gnome.org)
though it is of interest to people which motivation to continue harmony was
to provide a LGPL Qt alternative.

   Regards
     Christof