List:       kde-freeqt
Subject:    Re: [freeqt] Open KDE Initiative Proposal
From:       Jo Dillon <emily () thelonious ! new ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-12-07 9:57:08

Avus (top249@g26.ethz.ch) spake thusly:
> Open KDE Initiative Proposal

> The Open KDE Initiative would try to promote those aspects of KDE that
> are not part of the 'standard' distribution, like
>
> o other KDE compliant window manager than KWM (currently Blackbox)
> o - " - file manager
> o support libs for other toolkits, following the example of K/Tk (for
> TCL/Tk). Especially gtk and V.
> o gtk KDE theme, KDE Pluggable Look&Feel for Java ("Java Swing theme")
> o Corba interaction based on the KOM/OpenParts object model, to be used
> with other toolkits
> o More language bindings for the KDE libs
>
> The Initiantive could present the already available alternatives on a
> web site for end users, while the developer information would be
> available at developer.kde.org.
> Especially in the case of Corba objects examples and documentation for
> the usage from other toolkits would be very important.
> In addition to that, OpenKDE could define a set of KDE features that a
> programme has to implement to be called KDE compliant.
>
> Please let me know if this sounds like a sensible suggestion to you.
>
> Regards
>
> Avus

  This sounds perfectly reasonable. A good start would be documentation
of exactly what the KDE environment consists of at a low level - I mean,
exactly what window manager hints kwm understands, the protocol used
to talk to kfm and so forth.

--
	Jo

Harmony - the project to create an LGPL Qt clone
http://harmony.ruhr.de