List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Fwd: Kiten and knorskverbs
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-26 8:07:05

On Thursday 25 July 2002 20:25, Arnold Kraschinki wrote:
> > And I have another wish regarding translation of grammar apps: Can anyone
> > please replace the spanish words in kverbos by english words?
> >
> > Greetings,
> > eva
>
> why?

1) Because the words that are used to fill menus in computer apps are rather
specialized and when I want to learn verbs, then I don't won't to learn
computer words necessarily too.

2) My spanish is a bit rusty after not using it a while. So I don't know the
spanish words you are using and that pretty fast kills my motivation because
I don't know how to use your program. So there is a link between using
spanish words and usability problems

3) If the user wants to have a spanish interface, he can either switch the
complete desktop to spanish or use the feature Scott asked for (switching
only your app). You can do that by setting the environment variable KDE_LANG
to the value you want or make an option in your settings an then add this to
your configuration file, where you start with the users language:
[Locale]
Country=de
Language=de

4) Instead of creating a specialized solution for the language switching (as
described in 3) to your own app you could also help KDE by working on a
general kdeedu or even kde configuration where one can set the language for
one app.

5) In KDE we don't have localized apps.

6) In KDE we want to leave as much freedom as possible to the users, which is
usually expressed in configuration options. So please, keep it configurable.

I hope that were enough arguments ;-)

Greetings,
eva