List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Re: Kiten
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-25 14:45:58

On Thursday 25 July 2002,  Klas Kalass wrote:

> How do you decide which program is of general interest, then? Especially in
> kdeedu that is impossible. For illustration I will list some programs in
> kdeedu and what the target groups of those are:

First: Please CC me if you want me to see postings to this list. I am not
subscribed. It may also be a good idea to keep kde-i18n-doc on CC. This thing
wasn't started by me (again).

As for which programs to include into edu I'd say: Anything you can expect in
the curriculum of most (high) schools in most countries. And also everything
for which you can reasonably expect interest among the users of most
countries all over the world. I'd simply like to suggest that every developer
asks him/herself whether the app (or what's the app is about) is worthwhile
for our 60+ language teams to translate. If the answer is "yes", include it.
If unsure, let's discuss it before including it in CVS.

You can say, of course, that learning languages is part of about any
curriculum worldwide. But that's about the only agreement you will get.
_Which_ language should be the one to include will differ from region to
region. Therefore, I'd suggest to only include programs that are usable for
learning about any language or at least a whole system of languages. Examples
would be KVoctrain, KMessedwords and, maybe, KLettres. But I would also
suggest to not include courses for individual languages like Kiten, KVerbos,
or knorskverbs.

If we start including them where should we stop? Not at all, , ie including
hundreds of these courses one day? I'd say this is the shortest way to make
translation teams give up on the edu module alltogether. Or are we going to
include only the "top ten" like Chinese, Spanish, English, Bengali and a few
others? But this would leave no place for a lot of things that are considered
highly educational at least in some parts of the world, like Latin, Sanskrit,
or Ancient Greek. To me, this wouldn't make sense either.

At the moment I would suggest to either move the programs to extragear or
create an extra module for them which would be handled in a similar way as
extragear.

> flashkard: Someone who wants to learn something (the most general it can get
> for kdeedu)
> [...]

Don't see a problem with any of the programs you listed. But I'm foreseeing
big (and very much growing) problems if we keep adding individual courses for
each individual language on the planet.

>I have to agree with Jason: If the app is of regional non-interest, then
> don't translate it for those regions because it is not worth the effort
> obviously.

Well, if we start the "don't translate it if you don't like it" thing again we
can just as well merge the extragear back into the main modules. At least for
the translators, it was the whole point of creating extragear that we wanted
completely localized desktop environments and wanted to keep everything out
that was highly specialized or would duplicate functionality. And "highly
specialized" clearly also means to me "programs that are only of regional
interest".

Regards,

Thomas

--