List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] And so it begins (libkdeedu)
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <a-m.mahfouf () lineone ! net>
Date:       2002-05-31 9:10:01

On Friday 31 May 2002 8:11 am, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Scott Wheeler <wheeler@kde.org> [020531 08:23]:
> > > I don't understand at the moment, what is the benefit of a libary to
> > > parse the xml documents? I mean there is an xml parser in qt, so why
> > > don't use it?
> >
> > Because that's more work than needs to be done.  Basically, the parser
> > that I wrote yesterday and lib-ified was about 150 lines of code
> > (comments and blank lines included).  It looks like we have about 6 apps
> > that are vocabulary based.  It looks like KLatin for instance, and
> > possibly others, will never need more than the one static parse funtion
> > that I added yesterday.  So instead of writing 150-ish lines, Annma (just
> > as an example here) needs about 5.
>
> But how much code do I need to use the parser provided by the Qt lib? I
> have never done this because I don't need to, but I think it will not be
> more than just some lines.

hmmm, I don't think so. XML stuff is not so easy to understand, well for me
at least. Even so, as we are to use XML in several apps, it makes sense to
share the code in a lib.

Memory speaking, I don't know anything about that but what I guess is if a
user runs FlashKard, he seems likely to run other edu apps as well. So what's
the balance between a loaded lib and several running edu app that would each
have the same bit of code? (I have only 128Mb RAM so my machine is always
slow each time I compile something which means all the time....)

Also what you miss is the fact that we (at least Ewald, Scott and me) need to
get the same XML files so we can interact with each other applications. If we
all write our own code, we'll end up with different tags. And I'll end up
with a slow app because Scott's code is far much better than mine. ;)

annma